Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Beginner's Mind

Being a collaborative lawyer means being in a place of continuous learning. You can be sure than any professional listed on the BC Collaborative Roster Society website www.bccollaborativerostersociety.com is committed to constant ongoing training.  I totally enjoy all the learning.  Recently, for instance, I learned that memory is completely unreliable – that we change and recreate memories every time we think them.  You can read an article about this in Discover Magazine by Kathleen McGowan.  All these important bits of information outside the conventional practice of law have changed the way I think about how to help my clients.  For instance, about 10 years ago, I learned that rejection can dramatically reduce a person’s IQ and their ability to reason analytically, while increasing their aggression.  This piece of information changed the way I behave when serving a client who is feeling rejected. I have learned how to better provide legal services through learning how to collaborate with other professionals.  I love learning this way, with others, collaboratively.